Business Licensing

In accordance with the Town of Hay River By-Law No. 1395, a business license is required in order to provide services or products in the Town of Hay River. To apply for a business license you will need to complete a Business License Application form, which are available at Town Hall or on our website. Please note that the class of business will determine the cost of your business license. All business licenses MUST be approved by our Bylaw Division.

Please note that if your class of business is Home Occupation you will also need to complete a Home Development Application, which costs $50.00. If you do not own your home, you must have the permission of the owner to operate your business from the location. Once your application is approved by our Development Officer there is a two-week waiting period in case there is an appeal. After this time period has elapsed, the Town will issue the business license and you can proceed to operate your business.

Class of License

  • Commercial $150.00
  • Home Occupation $200.00
  • Student $10.00
  • Seasonal Tourist $100.00
  • Non-Conforming $200.00
  • Non-Resident $350.00
  • Salesperson Sub-License $25.00

Town of Hay River

Class of License Description & Fee

As per By-law No. 2431 –



any person engaged in commercial activity for gain or livelihood but does not include a business that is regulated by an Act of Parliament or the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories or any other exempt business as may be prescribed by regulation.

Resident Commercial Business

any business which maintains a place of business within the Town for at least 184 days of any licensing period. (Commercial license- $100.00)

Home Occupation

any business carried on by a person who is an occupant of a residential building as a use secondary to the residential use of the building, and as defined in the zoning and planning by-laws of the Town. (Development permit = $50.00 Business license $132.50)


any business owned and operated by a person presently attending an educational institution or enrolled in an ongoing post-secondary educational program. (License $10.00)

Seasonal Tourist

any business that operates primarily for the traveling public on a seasonal basis only. (License $50.00)


a business conducted as a non-conforming use pursuant to the zoning and planning by-laws of the Town, the Act, or the Planning Act, R.S.N.W.T.  1974, Chapter P-8, as amended. (License $188.00)


any business which does not maintain a place of business in the Town for a period of at least 183 days of any licensing period. (License $275.00)


per By-law 1395 “B”, Section 17, (2) – Where an applicant intends to have Canvassers, hawkers, or pedlars operating under its business license, a Salesperson Sub-License shall be issued to each canvasser, hawker, or pedlar upon payment of the appropriate fees.  (License $25.00)