Building and Development Permit

Under the direction of the Director of Public Works and Services, the Development Officer issues building and development permits required to construct, renovate and/or alter existing or new buildings or structures and conducts all building inspections.

Development Permits: are used to deal with the impact on surrounding properties of your proposed structure or use of your property.

Building Permits: are used to deal with the structural stability of buildings and the health and safety of the buildings occupants.

When do you require a development permit?

If you are planning to construct a new building, add or renovate any existing building, inside or out, or the relocation of a building. It also includes changing the use or intensity of use of the land or a building such as the starting of a home occupation and fences. The Development Permit process addresses how land is used and helps preserve and enhance the quality of life in our community. Development Permits are approved pursuant to the requirements of the Town of Hay River Zoning and Building Bylaw.

When do you require a building permit?

A Building Permit is required for the construction, addition, alteration, repair, reconstruction, or relocation of a building. Building Permits are not required for fences or sheds less than 150 square feet.

How to get started?

First, contact the Development Officer by calling The Town of Hay River at 874-6522 or by visiting us at Town Hall. Once you have outlined your proposal we’ll advise you on the basic process. We’ll tell you what information to submit with your application for a Development Permit, what the permit will cost, and how long the process should take.

Helpful advice

Preparing drawings requires solid knowledge of building codes and regulations. If you are not familiar with these regulations, we recommend that you find someone with a background in this area who can help you prepare your plans. Proper plans help to insure that your application is processed quickly and minimizes problems during construction.

Meeting with us early can help you avoid surprises and help ensure that your project goes quickly and smoothly.

Consequences of Unauthorized Development

The municipality of Hay River can order unauthorized development, or development that is contrary to the Zoning and Building Bylaw to be stopped, demolished and removed. Municipalities can also recuperate costs from the owner. The Planning Act and our Zoning and Building By-Law provides a maximum $ 500.00 fine in addition to a maximum $ 100.00 per day fine for each day the offence continues.

For more information, please contact Town Hall or call us at (867) 874-6522.

Taxi Permit

In order to operate a taxi in the Town of Hay River you must apply for a taxi permit in accordance with By-law No. 2165/REG/09 “Taxi License By-Law”. The fee for this permit is $25.00 and you must provide us with a copy of your criminal records check and driver’s abstract. Once this process is complete our bylaw officer will review the application.

  1. No person shall operate a Taxi without a valid Taxi Permit issued under this By-Law.
  2. No person shall be issued a Taxi Permit unless the person:
  3. a) has attained the full age of eighteen (18) years;
  4. b) has a valid Driver’s License, or has an equivalent valid driver’s license from another Canadian province or territory; in which case the person must provide satisfactory proof to the Senior Administrative Office within ninety (90) days of the date of the application for the Taxi Permit of having a valid Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 Northwest Territories driver’s license.;
  5. c) has completed an application and statutory declaration as set out in Form “D”;
  6. e) has provided a current, certified true copy of his/her Driver’s License Abstract
  7. g) has received a Record Check Consent (Form D1) from the local Royal Canadian Mounted Police Detachment that the person meets the requirements set out in Section 15 of this By-Law.
  8. No Taxi Permit or renewal thereof shall be issued to any person who:

            1) has been convicted under the Criminal Code of Canada


Burial Permit

A burial permit is required for each of the following:

  • For any person pronounced deceased in the Town of Hay River
  • For any person or any cremated remains being buried in the Hay River Cemetery.

The burial permit must be issued before the deceased can be released to the family or before being transported for cremation. To issue a burial permit the Town requires the Death Registration Statement, which is completed by either the coroner or the hospital. A representative of/for the family will bring the Death Registration Statement to the Town Hall, where the permit will be completed/issued. The original Death Registration Statement and a copy of the Burial Permit are forwarded to the Department of Vital Statistics by the Town of Hay River. The Burial Permit and copies are made for the family of the deceased, the hospital and the church.


No person shall be buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Hay River without a Burial Permit issued by the Town of Hay River.

At the time of a Burial Permit being issued the family will meet with the Administrative Clerk at the Town Hall to choose a plot. The Town of Hay River will guide the family through the process of picking a plot, coordinating with the hospital, cemetery preparations and transportation of the deceased to the service and cemetery.

To place a monument in the cemetery the family of the deceased must have an approved Monument Permit. For additional specifications and requirements contact the Town of Hay River.