Building Permits

For those planning to develop or build anything on your property, it is time to give the Town of Hay River a call and check on which permits you will require.

Development Permits are used to deal with the impact on surrounding properties of your proposed structure or use of your property.

Building Permits are used to deal with the structural stability of buildings and the health and safety of the buildings occupants.

When do you require a Development Permit?

If you are planning to construct a new building, add or renovate any existing building, inside or out, or the relocation of a building. It also includes changing the use or intensity of use of the land or a building such as the starting of a home occupation and fences. The Development Permit process addresses how land is used and helps preserve and enhance the quality of life in our community. Development Permits are approved pursuant to the requirements of the Town of Hay River Zoning and Building Bylaw.

When do you require a building Permit?

A Building Permit is required for the construction, addition, alteration, repair, reconstruction, or relocation of a building. Building Permits are not required for fences or sheds less than 150 square feet.

How to get started?

First, contact the Development Officer by calling The Town of Hay River at 874-6522 or by visiting us at Town Hall. Once you have outlined your proposal we’ll advise you on the basic process. We’ll tell you what information to submit with your application for a Development Permit, what the permit will cost, and how long the process should take.

Helpful advice

Preparing drawings requires solid knowledge of building codes and regulations. If you are not familiar with these regulations, we recommend that you find someone with a background in this area who can help you prepare your plans. Proper plans help to insure that your application is processed quickly and minimizes problems during construction.

Meeting with us early can help you avoid surprises and help ensure that your project goes quickly and smoothly.

Consequences of Unauthorized Development

The municipality of Hay River can order unauthorized development, or development that is contrary to the Zoning and Building Bylaw to be stopped, demolished and removed. Municipalities can also recuperate costs from the owner. The Planning Act  and our Zoning and Building By-Law provides a maximum $ 500.00 fine in addition to a maximum $ 100.00 per day fine for each day the offence continues.

For more information, please contact Town Hall or call us at (867) 874-6522.